Monday, January 31, 2011

Water fast, day 1

Today is the first day of a water fast for me. I've only done this once before successfully, but I've made it through day one! I'm hoping to do 3 days of water fasting followed by two days of liquids- coconut water, fresh juice, kombucha. Then I'll finish out my third and final week of the Daniel fast.

But... why am I fasting? That's an excellent question. I'm doing a Daniel fast (no meats, no sweets, no bread; only water to drink) in preparation for my move to Nashville. I want to make sure I'm where God wants me to be. I want to be closer to Him. I want everything He has in store for me, and I don't want to compromise our relationship. So I'm fasting for intimacy and discernment. I'm asking Him to come with His perfect love and cast out all fear.

But why the water fast? Well, I'll tell you. My good friend Shimmi and I have some things in common. We both follow Jesus. We love Him. But most of the time, in the depths of our hearts and at the core of our beings, we don't feel loved by Him. Which is a lie- He loves us more than we can possibly imagine. But we're not aware of it. And sometimes, we even feel like He doesn't like us that much, as if He's smirking and waiting on us to make a mistake. Lie! He is love. We want all of His love. But at the moment, we don't live every moment inside all of the intimacy that is available to us, and we're done with that. So we're praying and fasting for breakthrough for each other. I'm praying for Shimmi, and she's praying for me. To know Him. To believe Him. To receive Him. To be one with Him. Yes & amen. Come, Lord Jesus!

No comments: