Saturday, February 12, 2011

For Colored Girls

We knew it wasn't your ordinary Tyler Perry movie. Drama. No Madea. But WOW is it harsh. You could get PTSD from watching it. Just when you think a situation couldn't get any worse, it does.

And I guess it's a reality for a lot of people- abusive, alcoholic husbands; cold, dead relationships; a crazy mother tortured by her own pain into treating her two daughters like scum; date rape. But it's so much worse than all that description. You can see all the darkness and death everywhere- it seems to be eating people alive, flouting life, mocking even sunshine. It makes me wonder how similar this movie is to the reality that I'm about to move into in Nashville. How much of this stuff happens in Chestnut Hill? Will I recognize my neighbors from this movie?

All that's left to do is go. Go and shine Light into darkness. Pour out to be filled up again. God, teach me how to be broken bread and poured out wine. Teach me how to love extravagantly. Amen.

No comments: