Wednesday, July 29, 2009

That's what I like

"What do you like about the farm?"

This is a question people ask me frequently. And every time I am completely stumped. I stand there and think about the question as if a Martian had just appeared before me, sincerely clueless. After a little thought and a lot more time to roll around in my mind, I've come up with a list:

the sound of weeds pulled out of plastic
the people
dahlias, zinnias, even tuberoses
new muscles
comrades
the barn, and my room above the chickens
the way a sunflower says, "FACE!"
the treehouse
the outhouse
the people
the worker kitchen
dinner time!
Steve grilling chicken
the dear, dear people
astronomical amounts of bacon being fried & happily eaten every single ever-lovin day
eating more heirloom tomatoes than I ever dreamed possible, straight off the vine
getting ready for market at 4 a.m.
yup. the people

No comments: